Thursday, April 13, 2017

Broken phone

KR had lost his job (the first of many times, I will tell those stories another time) and we had temporarily moved in with his parents. I was selling the house I owned prior to meeting him, and planned on moving two states away. We weren't married yet, I was pregnant with our first child, had already moved my two oldest children from my first marriage to our (hopefully)  new city (they were with my parents) and my 2.5 year old stayed with me. I had no idea what was in store for me when we moved in with his parents. KR's dad was verbally and physically abusive to his mom. I witnessed him calling her every name in the book, and one day, watched him chase her out of the house, threatening her. I couldn't stand being there,  or having my daughter witnessing this either. I told KR we needed to stay somewhere else, a motel even, until we could get to our new city. KR was furious. He called me a liar, said I wasn't seeing what I saw ( even though he was there when it was occurring) and was outraged that I would speak poorly about his parents after they had "taken us in".  I told him I was going to stay somewhere else and tried to leave.  He got even angrier. He grabbed my purse and took my atm card away. My van was on empty, I was an hour away from my job and co-workers, and had no one local to give me money gas. I begged him to give me my card back and let me and my daughter leave. If he didn't want to go with us, he didn't have to, but he had no right to steal my card and prevent me from leaving. He laughed and yelled at me at the same time. He called me every name you could imagine. Crying, I grabbed my daughter and my cell phone and walked into another room. I called the ER I worked at. A charge nurse I worked with frequently answered. I started to tell her what was going on, but within seconds,  KR grabbed the phone from me (he had follwed me) and smashed it to the ground, and it broke. He didnt know the connection wasn't lost immediately, and the charge nurse could hear him continue to yell at me, threaten me and tell me I couldn't leave for several minutes before the phone died.  She called the local police, but she didn't know where I was and she anxiously waited to hear if I was safe. It took about 10 minutes for me to be able to make my way outside with my daughter who by this time was crying hysterically too. I didn't know what I was going to do. At this point, KR's dad pulled up. I told him that KR had taken my atm card, broken my phone and refused to let me leave. KR denied everything, acted calm and like nothing had just happened.  He said I was crazy and out of control. His dad said he would give me ten dollars for my tank ( to this day, I think he only did this because of his sons recent brushes with the law and him not wanting me to go to a neighbors to call the police). That ten dollars got me to the ER where I worked, and I was able to call the bank, cancel and replace my card, and get set up with a friend for a few days. After that, I got a motel room. Within a week, KR was calling saying he was sorry. His excuse was that he was stressed about not having a job, a baby on the way, our plans on moving away from his family and his recent troubles with the law...and of course....me not understanding and getting along with his family and not being understanding of HIS feelings and needs. Pretty soon, he had ME feeling guilty about the whole situation. I was so conditioned and manipulated that I believed I was the problem. Looking back, and after years of counseling, I can't believe I was so under his thumb. I went from being a strong, independent woman, to a controlled, abused woman. It can happen to anyone.

No comments: